The third and existing Trinity Church was finished in 1846, and as the tallest building in lower Manhattan, it’s towering gothic spire was the welcoming beacon for ships sailing into New York Harbor. Trinity Church is a registered National Landmark.
After earlier renovations in which the pews were not restored, the church has hired, through Sciame Construction, The Keck Group to restore the pews and matching wainscot. Besides refinishing, the pews are undergoing many ergonomic changes, which include:
- Lowering the pew ends six inches which is no easy task and requiring great skill to keep the visual as exists.
- Cutting the high backs down six inches.
- Replacing the flat seats with new contoured seats.
- Eliminating the divider wall and substituting new joiners.
- Modifying the wainscot to accept the new design.
- Manufacturing and installing new mid supports.
- Manufacturing and installing five new pews to replicate the modified existing.
We removed the pews, screens and wainscot in mid-May and plan on installing when the church interior is completed in November, 2019.