The Keck Group Inc., Warwick and Middletown New York, has been selected to modify and restore the pews at the historic Cathedral of St. John the Baptist in Paterson, NJ.
Built by noted architect Patrick Keely in 1865 as a parish church, it was chosen to serve as the Cathedral of the Diocese of Paterson upon its creation in 1937.
The Cathedral was added to the National Register of Historic places in 1977.
Please view the photo gallery of the removal, and the samples and innovative design of the replacement seat installation, which allowed the conservation of the decades-old pews with the comfort of a modern seat.Update: Restoration is still ongoing. All of the seats, backs, and ends have had the finish removed, and we are in the finishing stage. The newly manufactured contoured seats are now in-house ready
to be finished, the kneelers are on their way in, and we look forward to assembly and installation. For more information, click here.
We finished installing the refinished pews in the beautifully restored Cathedral in May 2017. Our work was completed well before the commitment date of mid-May, and the modified and restored pews are one of the more vocal points of the restoration. The pews were modified for comfort, while still keeping the historical significance of the original pew design.