The Keck Group's Church Pew Refinishing Since 1972
As the Church's owner representative on our major renovation project and on behalf of the church, I want to thank you for your outstanding performance on the pew renovation. The pews look amazing and have drawn rave reviews from the congregation. Your advice as we considered finish and other options put us on the right path. The refinishing and reuphostering was done efficiently and professionally. You really went above and beyond expectations when you responded to the scheudule pinch that we created by our late fabric selection.
As you recall, having all three sections done by the end of August and having the center section done for a wedding in mid-August was critical to us. The innovative phasing that you suggested and then the implemented worked perfectly and made it possible for us to meet all of our deadlines. As one who's been involved in a lot of projects over the years, it was a pleasure to deal with people who take a problem not of their making and solve it instead of using it as an excuse.
Thanks for working with us on this important project.
William K. Wakefield
Nassau Project Manager
It takes 14 steps to deliver a perfectly refinished pew. Here are the details from removal to reinstallation.
Floor plan existing pews to existing locations.
- Catalogue each pew for identification to floor plan.
- Load pews in air ride trailers for safe trip to plant.
- Remove all existing mounting hardware, attachments (hymnal racks, etc.), fittings (bolts, plates, etc.) and complete necessary repairs.
- Remove existing finish by the flow-over system that removes finish to the deepest level of penetration.
- Sand seat edges random orbitally, balance of surfaces with palm sander. The intent is to restore, not make the pew look new, hence no belt sanding, planning or other harsh wood removal techniques.
- Apply stain (if desired) by hand. Remove excess.
- Apply four coats of pre-catalyzed lacquer, sanding between coats. (AWI System 11, Architectural Woodworking Institute).
- Finish attachments separately for re-installation at the job site.
- Final inspection of finished product prior to shipment.
- Re-pack pews for delivery.
- Re-attach accessories, install pews as existed (unless a new floor plan is in place) using new hardware and fastening devices. Scribe pews to new floor plan as required.
- Clean pews to remove dust from travel.
- Review maintenance guide and warranty with maintenance personnel.